Clipart images available on car models.

Voyager WIP

Hi there! Though the contest is already closed and my work posted, I’d like to share the process of making “Voyager”, even if it’s more a making of than a WIP. I like this contests because they push me to the best of myself and I use them to learn new techniques. This time, they’ve been ZBrush, Substance Designer and Marvelous Designer, very powerful tools that I hadn’t used before.

The original idea of this project came from my girlfriend, she was who told me about some creepy dead astronaut, and after studying other possibilities I found that it was a good idea after all, so I went ahead with it. Here are the initial concepts:

Voyager WIP

I have always drawing well, but a digital tablet is another business… I need more practice with it.

Next step was to make something in ZBrush, to be sure I was able to use it for the contest, so I tried the skull. I modeled the base in Max:

Voyager WIP

The skull had to be seriously damaged, to be clear that something terrible had happened, but without explain what. A few hours of sculpting (and unwrapping) and it came to this:

Voyager WIP

Voyager WIP

For texturing I used Substance Designer, with a subtle scatering effect in the skull and teeth.

Voyager WIP

Voyager WIP

Before modeling the spacesuit it was necessary to define some of the cockpit parts, especially the chair:

Voyager WIP

Voyager WIP

And after texturing:

Voyager WIP

Voyager WIP

Voyager WIP

The space suit was the most difficult part, and was done with Marvelous Designer. To make it, I needed a base model for the fabric to be wrapped, so I go to Daz Studio and configure a very skinny puppet, and then exported the Collada file to 3ds Max. With the rigged model in max, I created 2 morphs, a T-posed and a seated posed.

Voyager WIP

Voyager WIP

Once in Marvelous Designer, imported the T-pose as avatar to wrap the initial simulation, and then the seated pose to adapt it to the final shape. Marvelous Designer is very easy to use, but designing a fabric pattern not that much… but after a few hours the result was far better than the one I’d got with any other software! Here’s the final pattern:

Voyager WIP

Voyager WIP

Some fine tunning in ZBrush, a bit of Substance Designer, and voilĂ ! A nice space suit!

Voyager WIP

Voyager WIP

Voyager WIP

You can see the final render here.

Add a comment

  • Enter your comment here...

 

choice of professionals