- Author: Sergio Segura
- Tools: Autodesk Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter, Arnold Renderer, Photoshop
It is the main courtyard of the Palace of the Lions, in the heart of the Alhambra. It was commissioned by Sultan Muhammad V of the Nasrid Kingdom of Granada in the second period of his reign. Its construction began in 1377 and was completed thirteen years later.
The Palace of the Lions was the architectural pinnacle of the Alhambra. Its celebrated fountain was a symbol of its decorative richness and an example of the complex water system.
In addition to its symbolic function the fountain also had a practical purpose. The complex water system allowed the water to flow out in the form of a shallow surface. The central cylindrical unit of the fountain basin allowed the water to flow in and out thus preventing it from spilling out of the fountain.